Kalvin Michael Smith recovering after being shot

Kalvin Michael Smith

Kalvin Michael Smith recovering after being shot
April 06
07:30 2017



Less than six months after he was released from prison, Kalvin Michael Smith is recovering from a gunshot wound that left him lying on a sidewalk last week.

According to reports Smith, 45, was found with a gunshot wound to his abdomen in the 900 block of North Jackson Street on Friday, March 31, just before 9 p.m. Smith was originally listed in critical condition but following a pair of surgeries earlier this week, Smith is recovering much faster than doctors initially expected, Augustus Dark, Smith’s father, said.

“It’s almost like a miracle. Kalvin was severely wounded but after an initial surgery to remove the bullet and another follow up surgery, he is doing well and able to take physical therapy,” said Dark. “Thanks to the grace of God he will not suffer any long-term damage.”

At the time of the shooting, Smith was visiting family and friends who live in the area. While no witnesses saw the person who fired the weapon, several residents who live near the East Winston neighborhood where Smith was gunned down said they heard several shots. One resident who didn’t want their name released said they were outside at the time but thought someone was just shooting in the air.

“Gun shots aren’t common in this neighborhood, but I didn’t think someone had got shot,” they said. “This is a tragic situation. I hope he pulls through.”

Although the Winston-Salem Police Department has not released much information on the shoot-ing, Dark told The Chronicle that he believes his son was just the victim of a random shooting but admits he initially thought he was targeted by someone who thought he may have received a large amount of money when he was released, which is not the case.

“Because of who my son is, I feared that maybe he was targeted, but if you look at the reports, there have been several shootings in that area in recent weeks,” said Dark. “The police don’t know why there have been so many shootings in the area but they believe it was a random act of violence.”

In November 2016, Smith was released after serving 29 years in prison for the robbery and brutal beating of Jill Marker inside the Silk Plant Forest store that left the pregnant woman with severe brain damage and blindness.

Throughout his incarceration, Smith maintained his innocence and the evidence uncovered over the years proved that. Although he was set free, Smith’s fight for justice is still ongoing. The motion that freed Smith only addresses the sentencing on the armed robbery charge.

Since being released, Dark said his son has realized that a lot has changed since he was incarcerated and has spent his time trying to get adjusted to life in the real world. Earlier this week, Smith was scheduled to start barber school but now that will be delayed. Dark said he is grateful that his son is still here.

“All I can do is thank God,” Dark said.

Anyone with information on Smith’s shooting should contact Crime Stoppers at 336-727-2800. Tips may also be submitted by completing a confidential online form on the city’s website.

About Author

Tevin Stinson

Tevin Stinson

Related Articles


Featured Sponsor

Receive Chronicle Updates

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.



More Sponsors