North Forsyth fights back late to tie game with Southern Guilford

North Forsyth fights back late to tie game with Southern Guilford
October 13
05:35 2016



When Southern Guilford jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, things looked bleak for the Vikings.  Undeterred, North Forsyth fought back to tie the game at 2 during the second half. Each team had their chances to take the lead, but the game ended in a 2-2 tie.

At the start of the game, Southern Guilford immediately looked to attack the Viking defense. Early in the first half, Storm striker Daniel Duran broke free from the Viking defenders and scored. With a 1-0 lead, Southern Guilford’s Zion Johnson split two defenders and beat the goalkeeper to put the Storm up 2-0.

North Forsyth seemed to wake up after that point and began to move the ball around and put pressure on the Storm defense.  After dribbling past a Storm defender, North Forsyth almost had their first goal of the game, but the ball was saved by defenseman Zack Marshall to preserve the 2-0 lead.  Late in the first half, Rivaldo Mendoza scored for the Vikings with a header over the outstretched arms of the goalkeeper.

North Forsyth head coach Dan Proctor says his team has not played in almost two weeks and was happy with the resolve they showed during the game.

“We came out a little flat but I am very happy with how the guys responded,” said Proctor. “They dug their heels in after giving up two goals and came out in the second half. They pressed and pressed. They worked their tails off.”

Proctor went on to say that his team was undefeated and they have not been behind much in any game. He says for his team to face adversity for the first time and not give up could not have made him any happier.

The second half of play started the same as the first.  Neither offense was able to establish any consistent pressure early on. Viking striker Leo Rivas tied the game up later in the second half when he deflected the ball off of a Storm defender and got past the goalie.

With the game tied at 2, the Vikings offense looked to keep the pressure on the Storm defenders.  They controlled the ball much of the latter part of the second half, but did not score another goal.  Both defenses tightened up, and the game ended in a 2-2 tie.

Storm head coach Carlos Ruiz said both teams came into the game playing well and was glad his team played the right way.

“We have a few more games to play, and I am glad my team is learning whether we win or tie,” said Rivas.  “My team played a strong game, and I am very glad they are learning to play the right way.”

Coach Proctor added, “Maybe we took it for granted in the beginning of the game and did not come out the intensity we should have.  Hopefully, this can be a learning experience.

Sometimes in order to finish out the season strong you have to have ups and downs and figure out how you are going to respond.  Luckily we were able to do that without taking a loss so I’m really proud about the boys for that.”

About Author

Timothy Ramsey

Timothy Ramsey

Related Articles


Featured Sponsor

Receive Chronicle Updates

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.



More Sponsors