Walkertown still fighting for first win

Walkertown still fighting for first win
December 15
05:00 2016



The 2015-16 season for the Walkertown Wolfpack was a forgettable one as they went 0-15 on the season. Heading into their game against South Stokes, the Wolfpack were 0-4 and still searching for their first victory of the year.  During the final minutes of the game they seemed to have the victory in hand but fell in overtime to the Sauras 49-45.

The opening quarter was a slow-paced battle where both teams were trying to figure out the others zone defense.  Both squads implemented a 2-3 zone that did not allow penetration from the opposing guards.  Walkertown was able to score a couple of easy buckets via the fast break and the Sauras used their big men to score high percentage shots in the paint.  At the end of one, the score was tied 12-12.

South Stokes scored two quick buckets to open the second quarter to take the lead.  Each time the Sauras looked to make a run to stretch the lead, the Wolfpack made a clutch shot to slow the momentum.  South Stokes was cold from the floor but stayed alive by getting offensive rebounds and consistently going to the free throw line.

Walkertown did not help their case for a win by constantly turning the ball over toward the end of the second quarter.  The Sauras held a slim 23-22 lead at the half.

South Stokes head coach Richard Smith says he was pleased with his team’s resiliency but wants them to convert their offensive rebounds into easy buckets.

“I would like to see us be able to convert some of those offensive rebounds into points and we did a little bit better job of that down the stretch, being able to attack and get some points,” said Smith.

Kierre McClain got Walkertown off to a good start following halftime by hitting back –to-back shots.  The Sauras would not go away and kept the game close.  Late in the third quarter, the Wolfpack led 32-27 but only led by one at the end of three quarters.

To start the fourth quarter, both teams went cold again.  The teams traded the lead throughout the last frame.  With .43 seconds left in the game, Jacobey Williams of Walkertown hit a three-point shot to give his team a two-point lead.  On the next possession, Shemar Dalton of the Sauras was fouled and hit both free throws to tie the game at 41. Walkertown held for the final shot but missed, sending the game into overtime.

In overtime, Williams hit another big three-point shot, giving Walkertown a one-point lead.  After South Stokes missed two free throws, Walkertown seemed in complete control.  Unfortunately, they were bit by the turnover bug, again giving possession to the Sauras.  Landon Parsons hit a three-pointer for South Stokes to put them up four and effectively sealed the victory.

Charles Thomas, head coach for Walkertown, said he felt his team played hard but not as efficient as he would like.  He said the turnovers and free-throw disparity contributed to the loss.

“They are learning how hard they have to compete each and every game to have a chance to win a game at the end,” said Thomas.  “We had a chance in the end but didn’t get the victory, but we were there and had our opportunities, which is a step in the right direction.  I am very proud of the effort and not-give-up attitude.”

Smith spoke highly of his point guard Shemar Dalton, who hit some big shots down the stretch of the game.

“I was very proud of him keeping his composure and knocking down his free throws and making sure everything was running the way it was supposed to,” Smith continued.

Thomas said it was good for his team to play well against a 3A team even though they are in the 1A class. He says this is a confidence builder for his squad, win or lose.

About Author

Timothy Ramsey

Timothy Ramsey

Related Articles


Featured Sponsor

Receive Chronicle Updates

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.



More Sponsors