Teams fight to end tournament on a high note

JaQuay McMillan of Glenn, No. 4 in gray, shoots a jump shot over West Forsyth's C.J. Smith, No. 23 in white.

Teams fight to end tournament on a high note
December 29
04:30 2016

Photo by Timothy Ramsey



With each team in this year’s Lash-Chronicle tournament guaranteed at least three games, every team wanted to end their tournament on a high note. Because the teams in the consolation bracket were not in the running for the championship, pride and bragging rights were on the line for the final two days of the tournament.

First onto the court on Thursday was the game between Winston-Salem Prep and the Reynolds Demons.  Reynolds entered the tournament with high hopes to making it to the finals but instead looked headed into Christmas break with a win against the Phoenix.

As soon as the ball was tipped Tobias Johnson immediately made his presence known.  He finished the night with 35 points, scoring with ease inside and out.  The Demons dominated in the paint throughout the first quarter and led 22-13 after one.  The Phoenix fought back in the second once Jalen Crawley and Essin Arid got on track but was never able to take the lead partly because of the stellar defense played by Winston-Salem Prep standout Jalen Crawley.

The Phoenix made a nice run in the fourth quarter and took the lead at 59-56 with less than five minutes left in the game. Johnson and the Demons rebounded quickly and won a nail biter 65-63. Demons head coach Mike McCulloch said he thought Johnson played well on both ends of the floor but as a team they must improve rebounding and team defense going for-ward.

“I think this tournament has prepared us well for our conference play,” said Prep head coach Willie “BB” Patrick.  “We planned to come out of this tournament a little bit better but we came up short so we have to go back to the drawing board.

The game with West Forsyth and Glenn came down to the wire as well. West Forsyth jumped on the Bobcats early and led 41-24 at the half and led by as many as 20 early in the third.  The game looked to be a blowout but in typical Glenn fashion they made a run in the second half. Their press continued to wear down the Titans until late in the fourth quarter Glenn tied the game at 69 with under two minutes left.  Daniel Napper put the nail in the coffin with seven seconds left when he knocked down two clutch free throws and Glenn escaped with a 73-71 victory.

“We are relentless and I just had to light another fire. I guess we just like to be in tough positions,” said Chris Geter, Glenn head coach.  “When our backs are against the wall that’s when we perform the best and I don’t know why but that’s how it is.”

West Forsyth assistant coach Michael Porter said his team was unable to handle the press from Glenn and his team panicked.  He says once his team learns to handle the pressure, they will be a better team for it.

About Author

Timothy Ramsey

Timothy Ramsey

Related Articles


Featured Sponsor

Receive Chronicle Updates

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.



More Sponsors